I've not got round to updating the posts on this project for a bit. Here's how the cross looked after all the engraving was finished:
I've finished the engraving for the penultimate section on the enamel cross. It's looking good! The twirly bits on this section were a bit tricky, those inside curves are really hard to get nice and clean cuts on.
Some time ago I made some colour test strips of the enamel range from Milton Bridge (see Enamel Colour Test blog post). My wife was quite taken with these and wore one with a choker necklace. Since then I've given some away as presents. Here are some photos of Peridot Green, Dusty Rose and Cobalt Blue transparent enamel strips mounted onto a silver choker necklace:
I had an interesting enquiry a few weeks ago to make a Fabergé-style egg. Initially the enquiry was about painting some miniatures on the base that would support the egg but expanded to include the whole piece.
I've finished the centre piece of the cross, the engraving aspect anyway. This one took a while!
The enamel cross project is coming along well. I've got the lower two sections finished and cut out the four upper sections. The previous posts on this project are: part 1, part2, part3, part 4 and there's a new post on cutting out the metal sections here.
Here's how it's looking now:
For the enamel cross project I needed to cut out sections of the cross that could be placed together with a high degree of accuracy. The shapes are quite complicated having an inter-locking jigsaw-like joint, see above. For this purpose I decided to use my CNC Sherline mill and program some tool paths.