Here are the finished pair of chorister medals for the head and deputy head girl choristers at Gloucester Cathedral. The left-hand one depicts St. Cecilia, the patron saint of music, and the right-hand one depicts St. Kyneburgha, who founded Burh Abbey.
Category archives: Commissions
Some of the commissions that I've worked on (or currently working on!)
After some time the customer and I came up with these designs for the medals. The actual construction of the medals was still a bit unkown at this stage. The customer wanted something that would be robust but yet elagant. My initial thoughts were to adapt the watch case I'd made before.
I got a commission to do some paintings onto an elliptical enamel plaque. The major and minor axis of the ellipse are to be 150mm by 90mm, respectively. The paintings are to be of a house in each of the seasons, so four paintings in all, and each one is to be inset into the seat of handmade bar stool.
Here's the set of finished pieces that make up the enamel cross. I finished it a couple of months ago but I've not got around to updating this blog until now.
I've not got round to updating the posts on this project for a bit. Here's how the cross looked after all the engraving was finished:
I've finished the engraving for the penultimate section on the enamel cross. It's looking good! The twirly bits on this section were a bit tricky, those inside curves are really hard to get nice and clean cuts on.
I've finished the centre piece of the cross, the engraving aspect anyway. This one took a while!
The enamel cross project is coming along well. I've got the lower two sections finished and cut out the four upper sections. The previous posts on this project are: part 1, part2, part3, part 4 and there's a new post on cutting out the metal sections here.
Here's how it's looking now:
For the enamel cross project I needed to cut out sections of the cross that could be placed together with a high degree of accuracy. The shapes are quite complicated having an inter-locking jigsaw-like joint, see above. For this purpose I decided to use my CNC Sherline mill and program some tool paths.